Welcome Readers! How enthusiastic I am to share with you a few things I have been learning while exploring a social bookmarking site named Diigo. I learned a lot while creating my social bookmarking
site. I started by comparing traditional bookmarking
to 21st century bookmarking. It is like comparing apples to oranges. In
my opinion, browser bookmarking systems have not kept up with the changes and
growth of the Internet. Traditional bookmarking can be time-consuming and the lists
of favorite sites are only available on the individual user’s computer. In
contrast, Diigo allows the user to bookmark important websites and access them
from school or home and share them with other students.
Large collections of bookmarks can quickly become
unmanageable and disorganized, but using a social bookmarking site allows
teachers or students to write comments directly on web pages. Many times, when I traditionally bookmarked
my favorite websites, I may not have remembered why I created a bookmark or
what part of the page I was trying to save. Using Diigo, categorizing websites
with titles, notes, keyword tags, lists, and groups is easy. The Diigo toolbar gives the user instant
access to the social bookmarking service’s features and marking your favorite
sites is very efficient.
One very beneficial way I will use my collection of resources is to collaborate online and share information. It is a wonderful professional development tool. I recently discovered there are hundreds of educator groups on Diigo where educators are collaborating together. There are over 200 K-12 groups available for educators through Diigo. I will continue to use this site to access current articles for professional development and have a collection of resources available for parents in my classroom. I am always looking for articles to support early literacy at home, provide solid documentation of specific strategies I am using in the classroom, and to enhance my teaching to keep up-to-date on 21st century learning. You can access my Diigo list located in the sidebar of this blog or simply click this link Literacy & Technology List
My favorite site for sharing everything about literacy is
www.readingrockets.com It is a site I frequent weekly and site regularly
on my blog and wiki. It is a combination
resource for parents and teachers. From podcast, videos, articles, author
interviews, and current education topics, this resource is filled with valuable
information for anyone concerned with education. Little discoveries like these that are easily
bookmarked, compiled, and stored using Diigo. I hope professionals will use my
resource list as a practical list of early childhood articles to enhance their
instruction, while providing productive resources for their classroom.
Here is
one example of how I use my social bookmarking resources:
Each week, on my blog posts, I focus on a specific author. Reading Rockets, which is located in my social bookmarking site, has a huge library of author interviews available to readers. I post a video each week to my blog. In addition to providing video, I can then search this resource for articles supporting the use of author studies in the classroom or a specific reading strategy. I found this article showing how author studies are beneficial in the classroom.
Mem Fox
Here is an example of a wonderful author interview sharing about seeing herself as a writer for the first time. The addition of a supporting article for adding author’s studies to your classroom’s literacy
instruction is a win, win for educators & parents of emerging readers.

Elizabeth, I too am now a believer in the benefits of social bookmarking, and connectivism for that matter. I have to say on a selfish level your Diigo list fits perfectly with my blog topic, and I am going to have to use some of your resources in my writing because they are just so ideal for my topic (you will be referenced). I absolutely loved the reading rockets website, especially the classroom strategies section. You basically just click on the area of literacy skill you want to teach and the reading strategies are laid out in front of you. All an individual has to do is decide which strategy to use. Also, many of the strategies listed are content area reading (CAR) strategies which means they transcend across all grades. Absolutely wonderful resource, very insightful, I am looking forward to next weeks blog.
ReplyDeleteBeth, I guess we are all "Social bookmarking" believers now:)
ReplyDeleteI love that through your blog post, I get to see how Diigo is set up since I decided to use the Delicious site as my reference tool. After reading through your resource list, I am definitely going to go back and add some of your resources to MY list. You found some wonderful Early Childhood resources that provide great ideas I can incorporate into my classroom. I want to make sure I add them to my Social Bookmarking site for future reference. It is definitely a tool I will continue to use and implement long after this technology class is complete.